Tuesday 2 June 2020

As I wrote the other day, after a very long wait, the film has eventually passed the censorship in Vietnam, although it hasn't got out of the process totally unscathed.
I have been asked to come up with some additional music for a new scene that features the secondary but important character of Bà Ba, an adorable old lady who gambles her last money even though she has no illusion about the outcome. The music is supposed to come from an old favourite record that she plays one last time as she tidies her flat, Huy told me. 
So it's been with great joy that I resumed work with Franco Maigue. Since we had very little time, Huy said that it could be a piece I had already written for another project. Then I suddenly remembered a song, I wrote for the musical play 阿姨 (Auntie), some twelve years ago in Taipei. ChingYao had recorded his vocals, but a piano and cello version had also been done at the studio and luckily, I happened to have the files in my hard disk! Franco immediately said yes and his beautiful and sensitive playing did wonders for the melodic line. It felt strange to hear a piece I had not listened to for nealy ten years! 
Just minutes after I sent the track to Huy, he replied to say that he loved the music. Mission accomplished!

Again, making music is really the only thing that makes sense to me now in this wacky world.



No comments:

Post a Comment