Wednesday 18 December 2019

Do over

Everyday Facebook asks "what's on your mind?"... Today, I'd like reply: NOTHING.

I do wish there were something in my mind but I have been composing so much music in the past months or even years, that my head is totally blank today. I'm painstakingly writing and recording a new piece for Be Water today despite a strong headache, but the perspective of all the music to milk out of our brain (to our dismay, Goh and I found out that Bao has kept nearly nothing from all the music we have been writing - producers' command...) 
Two weeks... Bao wants to have everything completed so he can send the documentary to the Sundance Festival. "We're nearly there" Bao wrote as words of encouragement, "You just have to do variations of what you have already done"
No, mister director, you may minimise our workload by saying it's a 'variation', but we still have to re-record the music, call the musicians, edit and mix everything so that you get your 'variation'. It isn't like using Microsoft Word... 
The new cut of the film is drastically different, which might explain why our music didn't 'survive'. The producers gave us references for each scene, each cue. Goh is furious. "We basically we practically have to start it over again!!!" he lamented. I still have a couple of pieces left unscathed from the flood. The situation feels like this Greek myth where Psyche has to do a new impossible chore every day.

"My method is different. I do not rush into actual work. When I get an idea I start at once building it up in my imagination. I change the construction, make improvements, and operate the device entirely in my mind."
Nikola Tesla




No comments:

Post a Comment