Friday 29 March 2019

On being Asian

a.
X: Where are you from?
Me: (I was born in Paris but...) I'm Vietnamese
X: Oh Vietnam!!!! I love the beef noodle!

b.
X: Where are you from?
Me: I'm French
X: Yes... but I mean where are you REALLY from. Because you don't look... French
Me: Vietnam
X: Oh!!! Vietnam! I have a Vietnamese friend!
Me: I have French friends too!

c. 
X: Oh An, I thought of you the other day!!!
Me: Oh really? How come?
X: I was walking on the street and I saw a Chinese restaurant!
Me: You mean the Chinese takeaway near [...] ?
X: Yes!!!! I love beef noodle!

d.
X: Nice to meet you. What's your profession?
Me: I'm a musician
X: I mean, do you have a real job?
Me: (Talk to stupid people) Yes, I own a laundromat
X: Oh really? I thought you were working in a restaurant

e.
X: You're a musician! That's great! You must meet my cousin!
Me: Is he a musician too?
X: Well, he plays some instrument... I don't know. Piano...? Oh no, he plays the flute. But that was a long time ago, when he was young... 

... and I could go on for a very long time...

No comments:

Post a Comment