Sunday 8 September 2013

To the Sun

On Friday midnight, I finally launched the music video of To the Sun. Zed and I finalised all the post-production and colour fine-tuning the day before, so excited to be able to show and share it with everyone.
"I wonder how people will react to it" I mused. 
"You'll find out on Saturday." Zed replied.
I couldn't help thinking of that quote from composer Arthur Honegger that I wrote in my diary a few months ago: The profession of composer is peculiar in that it is the principal activity and occupation of a man who exerts himself to produce wares for which no one has any use.
Even if I try hard to remain positive, that's how I have been thinking all my life. I have big dreams, big projects, ambitious ideas. Some of them have seen the light, some of them will be realised. And yet, I always have the impression that the world is indifferent to what I may do or say. I shouldn't disregard the few people who support and follow me, I know that some of them genuinely like and enjoy my work.  

Reactions to To the Sun were fairly positive. "Congratulation! It's edited, shot and performed very well" (Norm) ... "'Nothing comes to Light' is more dark and artful. This one is more active, colourful, handsome, youthful and interesting!" (Matthew) .... "Congratulation for your beautiful MV! I simply like it!" (Alvin) ... "Thumb up, An!!! I was really impressed by some shots, the colour and blurred ones. It was a great idea to use make up for the beaten up scene, makes it realistic and beautiful. Taipei is so photogenic. And I really think the idea of the flashback/mirage in the end is so cool!" (Stéphane) ...
"Awesome! Love the music video! My favourite parts were the voice over intro, the overall cinematography and the story (which reminded me of that Jimmy Liao's story "Turn left, Turn right"). But yeah, good job!" (Josh) ... 

I embraced those words with delight. There weren't so many comments. Apart from the same small circle of close friends and supporters who follow me, it seems that people's attention span does not last more than a few seconds. If one doesn't manage to catch their interest within that short amount of time and give them that instant excitement, one has to resign to sink into the limbo of oblivion. That explains why people are much more receptive to my photos. The thought was dispiriting. I should learn from the tree that I see from my window. It grows quietly, just being a tree and not thinking or wishing about anything else.

Watch:


No comments:

Post a Comment