Saturday 8 December 2007

Z&A / A&Z - msn conversation

Aaken:
Hello boy!
What a glorious feeling I'm happy again
Zen:
Hello brudda!
yes!
Aaken:
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
Zen:
My favourite track!
Aaken:
The sun's in my heart...
Zen:
It has been raining in KL everyday.
Aaken:
… and I'm ready for love
Zen:
And I’m ready for love!
Yay
Zen:
I love rainy days
At least KL won’t look that dusty anymore!
Aaken:
Hong Kong is so beautifully sunny.
Zen:
A bit reminiscent of Melbourne where I used to stay
Aaken:
But soooo polluted
Zen:
KL is even worse
Aaken:
How are you?
You seem to be a in a good mood
Zen:
I am doing good
Busy still…
Aaken:
Good to see you that way
Zen:
heh heh
Actually not really
Aaken:
I am sure you are, as usual
Zen:
I have been a bit moody today.
Aaken:
Moody? Oh dear
Zen:
I think it’s the workload. But I am fine
Aaken:
Yes, I bet!
Tsss!!!
When I see you…
Zen:
At least it has been raining, which keeps me delighted
Aaken:
… I'll hypnotize you so you work less!
Zen:
Yes please!
heh heh! How is everything in HK?
Aaken:
Good
Shaping up!
I’m making contacts
Zen:
Great!
Aaken:
I’m meeting people. I don't know where that'll lead to, but I am happy!
Zen:
But it looks great and promising
Aaken:
It's quite intense, though
Zen:
But it’s all good
Aaken:
Sometime I feel crushed by all the things I experience here
I'm really building a new life
Zen:
Totally new!
Wacky!
Aaken:
No idea where I'm going to
Zen:
Do you feel a bit lost, or excited actually?
Aaken:
Both.
Zen
A bit nervous, I gather.
Aaken:
Lost, excited, elated, happy, nervous, desperate.
Zen:
Blend of everything
Aaken:
I have no money, but I'm fine
I will go to Vietnam, but I don't even know how I'll come back
Zen:
You are rich, when your heart is full.
Aaken:
Yes, maybe…
I am lucky to find people who are nice to me
Zen:
That’s great.
Aaken:
I want to settle something strong
Hong Kong  is tough!
Zen:
It is!
Aaken:
Not at all a place for art.
Zen:
It’s too hectic.
Aaken:
I feel like a whale when I see all these guys, ha ha!
Zen:
And not too much of flexibility to contains everything
Aaken:
Pressure of looking good
Zen:
Heh heh
Aaken:
I don't know how they manage to live like that
Zen:
Hong Kong people are very interesting
I don’t know how they survive in that place: small, contained, highly competitive…
Very strong personality, determined, straight-forward
Aaken:
As I said to a friend earlier on, in California they are shallow, and here they are shallow with discipline
Zen:
How come shallow
Aaken:
They have to be disciplined, or it would be mayhem
It's just about making money, following the rule, going to the gym, spending money on the latest hot item…
Zen:
Yes, superficial.
Aaken:
I have never seen so many unhappy looking people
Zen:
But they have something more deep inside, but they don’t really share it with other people.
That is a thing about HK people.
Aaken:
I don't say everyone is like that, but I find them sad.
With style, though….
But sad
Zen:
I have HK friends. I am Asian, so I’m able to understand them a bit.
Aaken:
Yes, so do I.
Zen:
I think not all of them are sad
Probably numb I’d say.
Emotionless.
Aaken:
Yes, in a state of numbness.
Zen:
Even if they are happy or anything they don’t show much.
Aaken:
That's what I meant by ‘sad’.
They don't look sad, like in pain
Zen:
Okay I got you
Aaken:
It's just sad to see them that way
There doesn't seem to be enjoyment
Zen:
But maybe on the other hand, they don’t think themselves being like that is sad
They like to be like that
Aaken:
Indeed
Zen:
It’s just a guess.
But I guess it’s pretty much that way.
Aaken:
Anyway, that's one side of it, of course.
It's not just in HK, I find the same anywhere else actually.
From Paris to NY, to London to Tokyo
Zen:
Really?
I thought not.
Aaken:
Yes… It's getting global
Zen:
There are more unhappy people in Asian countries.
Aaken:
People are afraid of change, so they put themselves in a mould.
Zen:
Why said so?
Aaken:
They cling to what they know, even if it's not good
Zen:
I think it’s a state of insecurity.
Aaken:
Indeed
Zen:
They are not really sure of what they want. So they just follow the majority.
Unconsciously.
Aaken:
And it's amazing how many people actually are going through dramatic changes
Some die, some are really sick, some lose beloved ones, some change job, some leave their country,     some get divorced…. It's quite violent!
Zen:
Life is violent
Aaken:
Especially for the past couple of years
Zen:
It always is
Aaken:
We are going through a very interesting time
Zen dit :
yes
Aaken:
You've seen how things get heated up
Zen:
I think it’s more likely to be, how we survive through, and what we learn from the lessons,
and to realise what you live for.
Most of the people might not know it at all
Aaken:
I couldn’t agree more!
Zen:
It’s sad
It happens to most of the people around me.
Aaken:
Yes, same here, so I encourage my friends and people I meet to make the big jump.
Zen:
Yes, although unfortunately, most of them see the need.
Aaken:
Of course, one cannot force them to.
Zen:
They don’t know why they should do it.
Aaken:
I think they do see it, but don't want to see the necessity.
The state of unconsciousness…
Zen:
Back to the same thing. They cling to what is safe
Aaken:
When I think of the all the energy they put to keep things the same.
Zen:
Yeah
Aaken:
What brings you to say all this suddenly?
Zen:
All of this ?
Aaken:
This state of mind
Zen:
It’s just in my mind all the time. This is what I have observed. I guess.
Aaken:
Yes….  I have got tons of idea for songs
Zen:
Great!
Ggrrr I haven’t started writing the song with you
Are we still writing something about cannibals?
Yum yum !
or something else?
Aaken:
Now what I'd need is to have a few musicians, a studio and record things.
I think of this Z&A song
Zen:
Nice !
A to Z
A & Z
Aaken:
don't know what it's going to be about
Us?
He he !
Zen:
Heh heh
Aaken:
I think I would like to have you sing as well
I really like your voice
Zen:
Serious?
Thank you brudda!
Aaken:
Yes I do
I have been listening to your song at least 40 times now
Zen:
Wow
Aaken:
And I love the way you sing it
Zen:
I am so glad that you like it
Aaken:
It's so full of emotion and sung with great musicality, without any mannerism
Zen:
I don’t have good skills in singing.
Aaken:
So even if the song is a ‘standard’ ballad, the way you sing makes it unique.
Zen:
I just sing it with sheer simplicity.
Aaken:
You sing well, believe me
Zen:
Thank you
Aaken:
I've paid attention to your vocals, what you do behind. It's good!
And you have a good register. Nearly the same as mine.
But I am not sure, because you're speaking voice is rather low register
But you're very musical.
Zen:
I had an even higher register a few years back.
Aaken:
Really?
Zen:
It changed a bit
Aaken:
I love your voice!
Zen:
I don’t know if it’s good, but I am comfortable with where I am now.
Aaken:
If you feel comfortable, then it's good. I wonder why you're not a pop star!
Zen:
Sometimes I don’t like the way I sing, honestly.
Aaken::
you've got everything: a killer look, talent, a beautiful voice, musical skills…
Zen:
But its about the way to get myself to get along with my voice.
No I don’t have killer look
Heh heh !
Aaken:
I think you do
Zen:
He he! I prefer talents than a killer look then!
Aaken:
    Well my pint of view. Sorry, my point of view!
Anyway, you have both, so....
Zen:
That’s you, not me!
Aaken:
tsss
Zen:
Killer look and talents
Aaken:
I know I have lots of talents… he he.
It's sometimes a bit too much ^^
Zen:
No it won’t be too much
Be happy with it
Aaken:
It is! Because of that, people don't know what to do with me.
And for those people 'in charge', that's a problem
Zen:
What do you mean?
Aaken:
The more you know, the more you understand, the less you get fooled by illusion
Well that is, if you also allow some wisdom to play a part in it.
But the art market is so narrow minded and self-centered
Zen:
I get you. It always is
Aaken:
And as I said, we are going through a big change now, so it's time to modify the rules of the game!
And people are not ready for it
I have been trying to make this understood some 7, 8 years ago
Zen:
7, 8 years ago…
Aaken:
Yes
Zen:
It’s even worse, they won’t understand.
Aaken:
No
But now I also know a bit more
So I know I have to play this game of appearances
I will try to develop a whole visual to attract more people, then lead them somewhere else. I have to create a connection between the listener and the artist….
Not musical, but personal, so they can identify. Then you can speak to them, thru music
But if you don't hook them, you can make the best music ever, no one will pay attention
aaken70@yahoo.co.uk dit :
it's sad
Zen dit :
yes
Zen dit :
it is!
Aaken:
But if you play with the system and change it from within, then it's even better.
People are yearning for positive things
Zen:
Yes. That’s what I am thinking too
Aaken:
They are tired to hear about all these tragedies, and feel so powerless.
…  I got carried away!
I really want to work with you on this album
I don't know how I'll arrange it
Zen:
Oh no you weren’t, don’t worry about it.
I am very looking forward to it too
I dont know how will it be, but we don’t have to know what it will be.
Aaken:
So the ideal plan would be: find someone who'd want to produce it, or give some advance money so I can have enough to have you and work with you.
Zen:
yes
Aaken:
At least on a few songs. I don't want just one song!
Zen:
Yes
Aaken:
I have an idea of how the album is going to sound
I want to take this pop language and expand it
There's that one song I have called ‘Battle of Wits’, which is a duel between an erhu and a cello
Maybe I told you about it already
Zen:
No you didn’t
That is interesting!
Aaken:
And the background will be very rock, à la Muse
Zen:
Sweet
Aaken:
Something like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon meets Muse
Zen:
Grrrrrrr.
Aaken:
so  quite epic
Aaken:
Why grrrr?
Zen:
Because of the crouching tiger!
Laughs
Aaken:
Ah okay! lol
Zen:
Sorrry it’s lame
Aaken:
And this cannibal song will be in 5 different languages
Electro clash song gone wild
Zen:
YES
I am very excited right now
I mean, as in looking forward to that
lol
Aaken:
I'm happy
And for the lyrics, well...
We'll see!!!
Zen:
yes
I hope I can see you soon. One day… don’t know when it will be….
Aaken:
     In January! I intend to come round mid-January.
Mainly to see you and see what can be done
Zen dit :
That would be great
Aaken:
Yes, I just hope you'll have more than one minute for that!
Zen:
Definitely as many minutes as you want
lol
Aaken:
I know you're working a lot. And you have your life. So it's not easy to add to that
Zen:
I want to see you, so that makes things easy
Aaken:
I so want to see you as well !
After all this time
But you know, my motto now is: make everything I wish happen in a joyous way.
Do you know some string players?
Who plays the instruments on your song?
Zen:
Yes that’s my belief too
No, I don’t.
It’s all sound samples by software.
Aaken:
Really?
Zen:
Yes
Aaken:
Do you play drums?
Guitar?
Even the piano was sampled?
Zen:
Unfortunately, no. I don’t play drums heh heh. But the sound samples sound so real
Yes everything is samples.
Sampled
My guitar playing sucks
I suck in guitar
I only play piano well
Aaken:
You play well, yes
Zen:
Since it’s only a demo, I can’t spend money on live musicians.
Aaken:
But ….I play the piano too, so... we have too much of that!
Zen:
In fact, in the local Chinese music scene in Malaysia, we don’t have budget for live musicians, even for proper pop songs.
Aaken:
Really?
Zen:
Yes. Only for really huge stars
Generally, everything is done by sampled sounds. That’s sad, but this is how it works.
Aaken:
    Ok. We'll find a way
Zen:
But I am grateful to have this sampled sound of piano. It sounds good to me.
Aaken:
My album wasn't done with much of a budget either.
But I managed to find the players I needed
You have experience in sound engineering as well, don't you?
Zen:
Sound engineering?
Hmm not really
Aaken:
Like recording
?
Zen:
I only know very simple and basic stuffs
Aaken:
So you're like me then…
I can hold a mic
lol
Zen:
Yes. I wish I can know more
Hold a mic? Ha ha, so can I!
That’s why we are brothers
Zen:
Generally the software we use for the recordings is Nuendo Cubase
Aaken:
I use an external  sound card
Zen:
So do I
Aaken:
Then I mix everything with Acid Pro
Very simple. And very primitive!
Zen:
Ah okay
I don’t know much about acid pro
I use Cubase for everything
Anyway brudda, I should hit the sack
I need to work tomorrow
I am happy to talk to you! What a glorious feeling…
Aaken:
Poor you
Need to go to bed too
I'm very happy we'll meet soon
Zen:
Have a goodnight brudda
How do you say goodnight in French?
Aaken:
Bonne nuit.
Zen dit :
Bonne nuit frère !
Aaken:
When you say it like that, it sounds like you’re in a sect!
Zen:
A sect?
Aaken:
A religious group.
Zen dit :
How come
Did I say it wrong or something?
Aaken:
You know how in religious group everyone is a brother...
Zen:
Oh yes ! That is true
Aaken:
So, what you said was correct, but it sounded a bit strange…
Zen:
So what should I say then, in a better way?
Aaken:
You can say: ‘grand frère’. Big brotha
Zen dit :
Bonne nuit grand frère !
Aaken:
Yes, that's better!!!!
Zen:
I like that.
Sounds much better
Aaken:
Cheers
Zen:
Goodnight! Sleep well!





No comments:

Post a Comment