Thursday 16 July 2009

Solitary birthday


Birthday...

I claim to not care much about my birthday. It was difficult to ignore it though, for I was showered with hundreds of messages on Facebook. However, these messages didn’t cross the line to materialize in my reality. The dichotomy couldn’t be more striking. While everyone thought I was partying wildly with happy and cheerful friends, I actually stayed home alone and spent an aimless day. I was so broke I couldn’t even afford to buy myself a loaf of bread. At the end of the day, Jan eventually stopped by for a cup of tea. He had dropped an envelope in my mailbox earlier in the afternoon with enough for me to last a few days. That gesture deeply moved me. It’s strange that I do not allow myself to receive help. But what a precious friend I have!
As we were sipping out tea, a violent storm was raging outside. Lightning every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment