Monday 3 November 2014

The dream of the giant spider

The end of am afternoon in Paris, autumn time. An enormous spider, bigger than a dog, quietly climbing on a maple tree. Looking across the street, I saw three turtles scuttling on the street at an astonishingly high speed. I thought to myself that those turtles were indeed very fast, but it didn't strike me as odd. I was standing on the border of the street with Jan and Dennis when I heard a voice talking behind me. It was the spider. "Oh, I saw you earlier on on that tree over there!' She nodded then started telling me how she would always have to try to make herself innocuous in spite of her gigantic size. I did startle at the sight of her, but there was no fear. Just as for the running turtles, it wasn't strange. The fact that I could understand what she said to me wasn't strange either. 
A few moments later, once again in a long, long time, I saw my feet slowly leave the ground and feel my body rise up in the air, effortlessly. At last! I was happy to be able to fly again. Such a powerful sensation it is. Years ago, when I was still a young boy, flying was tedious affair. It would only happen in a state of danger, when I would have to run away from my assailants. This time, there wasn't any a sense of danger. No need to escape from any ill-meaning people. I flew over the three turtles. They felt my presence, looked up, saw me, gave out a piercing shriek and dashed away. 
I glanced at the other side of the street and saw a long stone wall with dark green metal gate in the middle and felt compelled to go there. It was a cemetery. It looked like the one next to my parents’ house, but it also could have been the Père Lachaise cemetery.
After flying for some time along the alleys, I felt an urge to leave the place. But I couldn’t find the exit. Then I realised that since I could fly there wasn't any issue... The weather was moody and grey, so typical of Paris in Autumn.  
It felt so real, even after I woke up.


No comments:

Post a Comment