Thursday 3 September 2009

Without word


Saw my parents today for the last time before my trip to Asia. Shortly before leaving, I asked my mother whether she had any idea of a Vietnamese poem for one of my songs. I had written this short piece for cello and piano that I entitled The life before my eyes during my recording sessions with Karen in Chicago.
I played it to Bévinda who she suggested I used a Vietnamese text to create a nice contrast between the music which sounds very European and the lyrics. Then the whole summer passed…
My mother went to her library and came down with a small book a poetry by Xuân Diêu, one of the most important poets of 20th century Vietnam - he wrote around 450 poems… By my troth! When I think how laboriously I pen only one…
I immediately liked the one she chose: Tiên không loi, which, once translated could be understood as ‘a wordless sound‘. It’s so simple and most beautiful in its simplicity and goes with the music perfectly well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment